Judaic life strengthened

When Evan Finkel came to the University of Miami two years ago, he was concerned about losing touch with his Jewish roots. Then he discovered the Chabad House.

Chabad is a major movement within the mainstream Jewish tradition, with its roots in the 18th century Hasidic movement. Today, Chabad maintains institutions in over 1,000 cities around the world.

Until a community can sustain its own building, the “Chabad House” is held commonly held at a rabbi’s house. The UM Chabad House, located at 1251 Hardee Rd., is the home of Rabbi Mendy Fellig and his wife, Henchi. Though Chabad is part of the Orthodox branch of Judaism, it welcomes students regardless of their degree of observance.

“We want the students to feel that they can come to us for anything, in any situation,” Henchi Fellig said. “It is important that students who come to college feel that they have resources and a place to go.”

The Felligs are currently celebrating Passover, which began at sundown on Monday and lasts until April 26. Passover, one of the most important holidays in Judaism, celebrates the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt. Those who observe the holiday are supposed to abstain from eating yeast for the span of the week.

“It doesn’t matter if students are religious or not, and we definitely do not expect everyone to stay away from yeast products, but we want to make sure they walk away from our Seder with a rich understanding of what the holiday is about,” Henchi Fellig said. “That is what means the most to my husband and I.”

Freshman Lizz Evalen’s favorite experience is Chabad’s “lunch and learn” program, which Henchi Fellig holds every Thursday of the semester.

“We learn a little bit from the Torah and we eat,” Evalen said. “But I always talk to Henchi about what’s going on in my life, and I know she’s there to listen. That’s why I love Chabad.”

For more information, contact the Felligs at ChabadUM@aol.com.

Brittany Weiner may be contacted at bweiner@themiamihurricane.com.

Brittany Weiner

Contributing Sports Writer

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...