Journalism class learns how to integrate with business

According to a study conducted by University of Miami senior Crystal Evans and junior Sarah Hartnig, more than 90 percent of students on this campus participate in some kind of student organization. With nearly 300 student organizations now on campus, it is difficult for each group to get the coverage that they deserve.

As part of their final project for their entrepreneurial journalism in the digital age class, (CNJ 595) Evans and Hartnig, along with five other groups, presented their ideas on how to integrate journalism with modern technology in the form of a new business. The presentations took place on Monday at 5 p.m. in LC140 in front of a panel of judges.

Evans and Hartnig produced one of the class’s strongest business plans in the form of a blog that would cover underrepresented student organizations. The blog, which would be entitled “You at the U” would serve as “an alternative digital news site for University of Miami students.”

“You at the U” would rely heavily on user generated content in order to provide a more comprehensive coverage of student organizations.

“Students can provide “You at the U” with leads and news tips,” Hartnig explained during her presentation. “If we write stories about them, students will want to read them.”

In addition to an online blog “You at the U” would also have material available in print. Evans and Hartnig proposed that “You at the U” could produce a calendar that would encompass all major events for all student organizations.

Throughout the presentation, Evans and Hartnig stressed that “You at the U” would not serve as competition for existing on campus news sources.

“We don’t want to compete with the Hurricane,” the students said. “Instead, we would like to supplement it.”

Kristian Alwill may be contacted at kalwill@themiamihurricane.com.

Kristian Alwill

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...