Alumni studio provides opportunities for out-of-work architects

First-year graduate student Alex Lin works on the design of an artist’s studio on Mohegan Island. "I'€™m struggling with modern and traditional designs… I’m trying to find a balance between them." Jessica Hodder//The Miami Hurricane

Unemployed architects may find an alternative in the alumni studio at the School of Architecture.

Established two years ago when the unemployment rate was at its peak, the alumni studio was developed to help distressed graduates and alumni from the School of Architecture utilize their skills by working on various not-for-profit projects.

With limited openings and continuous layoffs in various architecture firms, many graduates have gone into the alumni studio to continue sharpening their skills and work on different projects.

Luis Del Valle, a 2007 graduate, joined the studio when he was laid off from an architecture firm in Washington, D.C.

“It was a difficult situation because people lost their jobs,” Del Valle said. “The alumni studio was able to get me to network with different professionals and exposed me to many responsibilities that have given me confidence to do more freelance work.”

Through its two-year trajectory, the alumni studio has not only been able to gather projects for graduates community-wide, but also nationwide.

“This is a network and we use different means, including social networking like Facebook, to keep in touch with different professionals that tip us on openings and projects for the graduates that are part of the studio,” said Steve Fett, alumni director of the School of Architecture.

One of the projects was to perform an urban analysis and charette, or an intensive project, in the city of Beaufort, S.C.

“The intensive planning session that took place at Beaufort is one of the most recognized events for the alumni studio because it touched base with the main concept of the School of Architecture, New Urbanism,” Fett said.

The alumni studio is also becoming a resource for many local firms.

“It’s great to be a part of the network and being exposed to real life design exercises because it can open many doors,” Del Valle said. “I am now assisting to design an exhibit that will open next month at the Coral Gables Museum to educate about the original homes in Coral Gables.”

To learn more about the alumni studio at the School of Architecture, join their Facebook group, “UM Alumni Studio.”

Thania Potosme may be contacted at tpotosme@themiamihurricane.com.

Thania Potosme

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...