‘The Conspirator’ is engrossing and surprisingly timely

Courtesy Flicksnbits.com

The philosopher George Santayana once said, “The one who does not remember history is bound to repeat it again.” Apparently our nation’s collective memory is fairly short, because clearly we have not learned a thing since 1865.

“The Conspirator,” the latest film from actor-director Robert Redford, is a parable for our time: The constitution is subverted after President Abraham Lincoln’s assassination, to try and convict the assassins.

Similar to recent events at Guantanamo Bay, the alleged conspirators behind Lincoln’s murder are treated to a heavily biased military tribunal. There is doubt regarding the complicity of one of the accused – Mary Surratt (Robin Wright), the mother of the sole conspirator on the lam – and a Union-veteran lawyer (James McAvoy) must overcome his own biases in order to ensure that she gets a fair trial. As we now know, that never happens, thanks to the draconian methods of Edwin Stanton (Kevin Kline), Lincoln’s war secretary.

Despite being mostly set in a courtroom, “The Conspirator” is absolutely gripping, due largely in part to its relevance and fine cast. McAvoy capably carries the film on his shoulders, and he is supported by spectacular performances by Tom Wilkinson, Evan Rachel Wood and a scenery-chewing Danny Huston. While Alexis Bledel’s character is mostly superfluous to the action, it is nice to see that Rory Gilmore is still alive.

The curious thing about this film is that it never really discusses the conspirators’ motivations – the assassins are simply portrayed as disgruntled rebels. Even though some of the dialogue is completely obvious in its intent to draw connections with today’s events, “The Conspirator” remains an engrossing, timely and excellent film.

Sarah B. Pilchick may be contacted at sbpilchick@themiamihurricane.com.

Rating: 3/4 stars

Starring: James McAvoy, Robin Wright

Director: Robert Redford

MPAA Rating: PG-13

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...