Soccer tournament raises money for Japan

Spirited shouting echoed throughout the intramural fields on Saturday as teams tested their soccer skills against each other during the second annual World Cup hosted by the Council of International Students and Organizations (COISO).

As part of COISO’s mission to defend the interest of international students, the organization found that an effective way of sharing culture was through sports.

With eight competing teams instead of last year’s 11, participation may have decreased, but the atmosphere was just as intense. Players dribbled and tackled their way around the field and scored goals in the name of the regions they represented.

“Soccer is something that connects the world,” said senior Kristi Persad, president of COISO. “We invite competing teams to represent their favorite region. We have teams representing China, Argentina, the Middle East. It brings them a lot of national pride.”

The COISO World Cup furthered the organization’s fundraising efforts for disaster relief for children in Japan, who are still feeling the effects of the recent earthquake and tsunami. Each tournament participant paid a $10 entry fee to compete and all the proceeds will be donated to UNICEF’s disaster relief fund.

“I think it’s great,” senior Kevin Waissmann said. “Last year we did the same thing for Haiti after the earthquake. It’s great to help people in need.”

World Cup players enjoyed the friendly competition the tournament promoted and many of last year’s teams competed again. Sophomore Marc Fruitema said that the lack of soccer tournaments at the University of Miami motivates eager students to sign up for the tournament.

“Most of the people here play on the IM fields during the week so when you hear about a tournament like this, everyone just tries to get together a team amongst their friends,” Fruitema said.

The winning team of the second annual World Cup was the Middle East.

Esther Pang may be contacted at epang@themiamihurricane.com.

Esther Pang

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...