Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: Universitas Magistrorum et Scholarium

After seven years at the University of Miami, I am departing on bitter note. I recently read that a number of UM students have been reprimanded and punished for expressing their political views on campus. Looking back it is hard to summarize a decade of relationships and experiences that have punctuated my undergraduate and medical education. Yet the enduring principle was the universal held belief in “academic freedom” which is the bedrock of the university system. As scholars, we partake in a tradition that fiercely protects the freedom of organization, speech, and assembly within academic institutions. As an undergraduate student I was free to join political associations, free to express my views, and free to gather with other students when my concerns were not heeded. Indeed, as president of Amnesty International, as host to WVUM’s Counterpoint, and as a student leader, this freedom from undue retribution allowed me to seize unfettered the educational, social, cultural and political opportunities around me. I was dismayed when I read that two UM students who partook in this process of learning and discovery have been charged with “vandalism” for announcing an upcoming event in sidewalk chalk. Students for a New Democracy (S.T.A.N.D) has been on a two-year campaign to pressure the university to fulfill promises made around a publicly funded Biotechnology project in the low-income neighborhood of Overtown.  Regardless of a reader’s political persuasion, the charges leveled against students constitute an egregious violation of the spirit of academic and intellectual freedom. One student was unable to register for fall classes after incurring an “academic hold” on his registration and the group S.T.A.N.D faces disbandment from the University. A third student from FIU was threatened with arrest for participating in protests. These students have committed no more of a crime than a 10-year-old who chalks boxes on the sidewalk to play hopscotch. Unfortunately, a small group of administrators has compromised the century-old values of academia to quiet dissent and stymie opposition. These are not the values of my alma mater and these actions only serve to undermine the great institution from which I am graduating.
Trishul Siddharthan is a graduating medical student and will be pursuing a residency in Internal Medicine at Yale University. He graduated cum laude with a degree in Neurobiology (08’) and is the 2007 recipient of the Vice-Presidents Award for Service.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...