Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: unfair treatment of STAND

Dear Editor,

For the past few years, the leaders and residents of Overtown have been asking University of Miami President Donna Shalala to sign a Community Benefits Agreement in return for the millions of dollars of support the UM Life Science and Technology Park is receiving from their low-income community.

S.T.A.N.D. (Students Toward A New Democracy), a University of Miami student organization, has supported the Overtown community in this struggle on campus and off. Currently, both S.T.A.N.D., as an organization, and individual student members of S.T.A.N.D., are being targeted, censored and hassled by the university administration. A small group of administrators are threatening to shut down the organization, claiming that the groups’ use of harmless, non-permanent children’s sidewalk chalk was an act of vandalism. Individual students have been called in for “on demand” meetings with deans; one had his course registration held up. I have seen chalk messages on campus from many student organizations and I have never heard of them receiving the same level of disciplinary action, suggesting that different standards are being applied for this group. Administrative hassling of students for their civic participation sends a chill through not only S.T.A.N.D., but the entire campus. As a professor on the University of Miami campus, I am appalled by such actions carried out in the name of our university. These proceedings fly in the face of our responsibilities as a respected educational institution and an important member of the South Florida community. Universities thrive only when they encourage the free exchange of ideas. The University of Miami should support freedom of speech on campus and encourage student engagement in the larger community, even when the message and civic involvement are critical of university actions or policies. Anything less shortchanges our students, campus and community.

Submitted by Linda Belgrave, associate professor in the Department of Sociology.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...