Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: The Sad and Horrible Results of Closing Sbarro Italian Eatery

Dear Miami Hurricane Editor,

I am sending this e-mail as a concerned employee at the University of Miami.  I feel sorry for the people who work at the Sbarro Italian Eatery which will be closing down in a few weeks.  I can’t understand why the UM is allowing Chartwell’s to just let this restaurant be shut down this way.  There will be at least 17 employees out of work who have families and really need their jobs in order to make a living.

These employees have served from five to 10 years here at this restaurant and some over 10 years.  They have worked diligently here for this company; to be left without a job and no benefits are horrible and not ethical at all.  Normally during the fall semester they do New Hire, is it or is it not ethical to hire the employees who have served and made Sbarro’s what it is today instead of hiring new people.  We have been told that at the end of July we are able to come and reapply for our positions depending what is open, however they can’t guarantee anything. They have also informed us that if someone comes in from the outside with more experience they will hire not allowing an open position for former employees. Again as stated before not ethical.

What will they do now for food, shelter, clothes and living? Does anyone have any answers as to what will happen to these employees’ families with children? How will they survive?  We all know that jobs are hard to get now; can something be done to help them keep their jobs and be able to return to work in the fall of August 2011?  Can the employees of Sbarro Italian Eatery be heard?

Respectfully,

Concerned Employee

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...