Baseball, Sports

Canes take two of three from Terrapins

At the beginning of April, the University of Miami baseball team hit the road to take on Boston College and had two games postponed due to winter weather, forcing both teams to play a double header in order to complete the series.

Once again, Mother Nature disrupted the University of Miami’s weekend plans against an ACC opponent. The Hurricanes traveled to Maryland to face the Terrapins and had Saturday’s contest postponed because of rain.

Miami won the series, taking two out of three games from the Terrapins, including a split of a Sunday double-header.

Starting pitcher Bryan Radziewski took the mound for the Hurricanes on Friday night and earned his sixth victory of the year, adding to an already impressive freshman campaign.

The lefty tossed six and two-thirds innings, surrendering two earned runs while striking out six Terrapins.

Nathan Melendres, Rony Rodriguez and Harold Martinez had tremendous night’s at the plate in the series opener, a game that Miami would go on to win 10-4.

The trio combined for seven hits and five RBI as the three, four and five hitters in the Hurricanes lineup.

Saturday’s game was scheduled to start at 3 p.m. but was called off early in the morning due to heavy rain in the College Park, Maryland area. The game was bumped to the following day as part of a Sunday double header.

Miami lost the first contest on Sunday 10-2. The game was close heading into the seventh inning, but the Terrapins scored three runs in the bottom of the frame to take a commanding 6-1 lead.

Sophomore Eric Whaley took the loss for the Hurricanes and fell to 5-2 on the year despite delivering a solid outing.

The hard throwing righty went six innings surrendering three runs, only one of which was earned. He also struck out seven Maryland batters in the process.

In the second game of the double-header, and the rubber match of the series, Miami used a two-run homerun from freshman Brad Fieger to break a 2-2 tie in the top of the seventh inning.

The round-tripper was the first of the year for Fieger and helped teammate E.J. Encinosa earn his third win of the season. Junior Daniel Miranda closed out the game for the Hurricanes, recording his tenth save in the 5-2 victory.

Miami has now won three straight ACC series and will take its recent success into the toughest part of the regular season schedule.

Over the next three weekends the Hurricanes will take on the class of the ACC in North Carolina, Florida State and Virginia. All three programs are nationally ranked with Virginia holding the number one spot in more than one poll.

The Hurricanes are winless against ranked opponents in 2011, falling victim to sweeps at the hands of both Florida and Georgia Tech earlier this year.

Adam Berger may be contacted at aberger@themiamihurricane.com

Adam Berger

Staff Sports Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...