Overtown music festival

Grammy Award Winner Roy Hargrove headlined a line-up of Jazz, Gospel, Hip Hop and African Cultural artists during the 1st Overtown Rhythm and Arts Festival on April 9, where Luther "Luke" Campbell was named King of the inaugural event. The event was held in the main street of NW 3rd Avenue, between 9th and 11th Streets in Miami's Historic Overtown District. Steven Levy and Adrianne D'Angelo//The Miami Hurricane

Music, art, food and a lot of soul were mixed this past Saturday for Overtown’s Rhythm and Arts Festival. Located in the heart of the city of Miami, Overtown is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Miami. It is steeped in black pride and culture, which was clearly demonstrated last week.

The first Overtown Rhythm and Arts Festival was produced by volunteers from the non-profit organization Magic-In-Action, along with local leaders of the Overtown Community.

Entertainment was provided by Roy Hargrove, a Grammy award winner jazz trumpeter. His performance was intense and powerful.

Renowned jazz vocalist and violinist Nicole Yarling, a lecturer in jazz vocal performance for UM’s Frost School of Music, gave a heartwarming performance.

They were joined on stage by an impressive lineup: jazz ensemble Instant Attraction, South Florida Hip Hop group Vagabonds, Booker T. Washington High School’s marching band and many others. Vendors offered a large variety of Southern and Caribbean food.

It was a festival by and for the people in Overtown who were able to enjoy a day full of entertainment and great food.

Rosa Orihuela may be contacted at rorihuela@themiamihurricane

Rosa Orihuela

Contributing Sports Writer

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...