The right and wrong solutions for cutting the federal deficit

T

he United States has well over a trillion dollar budget deficit. That is fact. Both parties want to eliminate this deficit, but vary in their approaches to do so.

The Republicans have proposed methods to solve the budget that are ineffective and/or harmful to the average American. Paul Ryan’s proposed blocking Medicare to states, instead giving out private vouchers to buy insurance. Unfortunately, the savings from cutting Medicare take money from the poorest of Americans and, at a time of great suffering, these cuts cannot go through.

Across the nation, salaries and benefits have been cut for teachers and other public workers. Other cutbacks are to the Head Start Program that provides nutrition and education to low-income families, the EPA, high-speed rail, green energy, food safety inspections, Planned Parenthood and the National Endowment for the Arts.

All of these budget cuts hurt those who cannot defend themselves- the poor, the environment and vulnerable women. President Barack Obama has said that we must win the future. We cannot deny our children a proper education and a clean environment. We are lagging behind in science and innovation and cutting such programs will only compound our troubles. How do we balance our budget in a responsible manner?

We have to close tax loopholes for companies that make billions of dollars but pay zero in taxes. We have to tax our wealthiest citizens (multi-billionaires) a little more because everybody must contribute their fair share towards a thriving America. We have to end our billion-dollar wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. We have to end our billion-dollar subsidies for agriculture.

It is important not to balance the budget on the backs of our children and the working class. It is a task that simply cannot hurt our society’s most vulnerable members.

Jordan Lewis is the public relations chair for UM’s Young College Democrats. He may be contacted at jlewis@themiamihurricane.com.

Jordan Lewis

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...