‘Miral’ not so controversial

Courtesy movies.blogspot.com

Does Julian Schnabel’s “Miral” deserve all the controversy it’s courted since its American premiere a few months ago? Not really. The story of a Palestinian girl’s actions during the ongoing conflict with Israel, it isn’t important enough of a film to warrant the uproar and denigration. Based on Rula Jebreal’s semi-autobiographical novel, “Miral” is engaging, to be sure, but overall, the film is fairly harmless.

The main point of contention many critics have found with the film is that it is terribly one-sided, but certainly no one ever said that art had to be fair and balanced. For the most part, the film’s Jewish-Israeli characters are portrayed as unsympathetic and vile, but this isn’t their story: it is that of the titular character, portrayed by Freida Pinto of “Slumdog Millionaire,” and her struggles as she is drawn into the first Intifada in the late 1980s.

The film’s strongest asset is its talented cast. Overall, Pinto fails to make much of an impression, but she is extremely lucky to be supported by the routinely phenomenal and wholly underrated Alexander Siddig as her exasperated father, Hiam Abbass as the proprietor of an orphanage for refugees and Omar Metwally as Miral’s love interest. Stella Schnabel, the daughter of the director, is also notable for her portrayal of the film’s sole likable Israeli Jew.

“Miral” perfectly embodies the notion that one person’s freedom fighter is another’s terrorist, and the actions of the PLO members in the film are motivated by noble intentions and vile methods. Activists whose hard-line attitudes against Israel soften are brutally murdered by supposed compatriots, and likewise, the titular character is subject to harsh interrogation methods. Overall, “Miral” isn’t vehemently anti-Israel, but it forms a nice bridge between the two opposing camps. It isn’t consequential to make a huge impression in the world of cinema based on the Intifada, but it is certainly both provocative and enjoyable.

Rating: 2.5/4 stars

Starring: Freida Pinto, Hiam Abbass, Alexander Siddig

Director: Julian Schnabel

MPAA Rating: PG-13

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...