The Strokes strike again

Courtesy rockitoutblog.com

In the five years since The Strokes released their last album, a lot has changed in the world. The

Democrats won and lost control of Congress; the first biracial (and socialist, and fascist, and communist,

and Kenyan-born and Muslim) president was elected; and the last “Harry Potter” book was released; the

world wept. The last “Twilight” novel was released; preteens wept. Dictatorships fell. Natural disasters

ravaged what seems like half of the world. Print newspapers disappeared and the New York Times, once

again, decided to implement an asinine pay-wall (actually spending money for a commodity such as

journalism is absurd and un-American). One would think, with all of these world-changing events and a

seemingly interminable hiatus, that the Strokes would at least have come up with some truly compelling

music in the last five years. However, that person would be absolutely mistaken.

It isn’t that “Angles,” the latest album by the Strokes, is bad. It just is not particularly memorable by

any means. Lead singer Julian Casablancas went off the sow his wild oats as a solo artist, and the result

was “Phrazes for the Young,” which, honestly, seemed pretty indistinguishable from his recordings with

the band intact. “First Impressions of Earth,” the last Strokes album before the five-year hiatus, may not

have been as acclaimed as the band’s earlier albums, but it still featured outstanding songs such as “Ask

Me Anything” and my personal favorite Strokes song, “Ize of the World.”

Nothing on “Angles” really stands apart from the rest of the album. The pervasive melody of “Games” is

the most instantly striking of the new tracks, but even that song comes nowhere close to being as iconic

as “What Ever Happened” or “Last Nite” (though new single “Under Cover of Darkness” sounds oddly

like the latter). Nearly every track seems heavily influenced by the earlier albums, but there’s nothing

seems particularly fresh. Even the unbridled ambition of the widely derided “First Impressions of Earth”

seems preferable to the sing-by-numbers aura of “Angles.”

While I may kvetch about the five-year hiatus, I only nag because I love. No one should think that I

find this album to be truly disappointing, but nothing truly stands out, and with a gestation period that

gives Guns N’ Roses’ “Chinese Democracy” a run for its money, perhaps I expected more. I must add,

however, that I’ll eat my words if the Strokes schedule a stop in Miami on their rumored upcoming tour.

Throw your fans a bone, guys. While Vampire Weekend may have tried to usurp the Strokes’ role as

the golden boys of neo-garage rock, the Strokes are still the undisputed champions of the genre even if

they aren’t at their best. Hopefully fans won’t have to wait another five years for some groundbreaking

music.

Rating: 3/4 stars

Released: March 18, 2011

Label: RCA, Rough Trade

Producers: Gus Oberg, Joe Chicarelli, The Strokes

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...