Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: What defines masculinity?

Dear Editor,

There have been many an occasion where I have rolled my eyes upon reading your Dear V column, however, this week’s contribution forced me to put fingers to keypad in sheer exasperation. My No. 1 issue would be how the so-called “victim of the ball snatcher” felt emasculated due to his lack of orgasm. Is this STILL the time we are living in? Is a man less of a man because he, on this one occasion, failed to climax?

As a firm believer in gender equality both in the bedroom and out, there have been times where either I or my partner have failed to climax. Does this emasculate (or even de-feminize for that matter) either of us? NO, because enjoyable sex is all about little give and take. There is nothing I like more than seeing my partner get off (for want of a better expression), and guess what, karma is usually kind to me on this occasion. The fact that your so-called “advice columnist” claims the “victim” is “reaping no reward” completely disregards the integrity of the woman in question, as does the laughable “advice” to “move on to a new one.”

These sentiments not only exclude the entire female audience from the Hurricane paper in favor of a man-on-man appreciation time, but it actually goes so far as to degrade women completely. And lastly, can we check our liberal use of the word “victim” when talking about this superficial problem from somebody seemingly so insecure and self-absorbed? The word “victim” implies some sort of violence, either physical or verbal, has been committed. In this instance I can see neither. This insensitivity should not be endorsed by the Hurricane nor University of Miami and it leaves me questioning the values of the school.

Sincerely,

FKM

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...