Alumni, senior win top prize

Photography, art and fashion are colliding thanks to a new company called Chiral, which designs bathing suits.
The apparel and design company took home the $10,000 grand prize at the UM School of Business’ 2011 Business Plan Competition last Friday.
Chiral was created by alumni Jay Hirschfeld and senior Trevor Cowan, with some help from alumnus David Learner.
“The biggest part of winning was not even the monetary prize, but the validation that everything we’ve been working so hard to achieve has been worth it,” said Hirschfeld, Chiral CEO  and School of Communication graduate.
The idea for Chiral started in March 2010 when Hirschfeld began turning extremely high-resolution photographs of street art into clothing.
The high resolution of Chiral’s work allows Hirschfeld to zoom in on the intricate details of the art.
Chiral’s first line consists of swimsuits adorned with detailed street art. The team hopes to eventually expand into other areas.
“Our Chiral brand is constantly seeking innovative ways to capture the world in as much detail as possible,” Hirschfeld said. “We are devoted to the integration of highly interactive imaging technology into our consumers’ daily lives.”
Winning the competition provided the trio with a much-needed boost.
“It was the most insane feeling I think I’ve ever had,” Hirschfeld said. “When we came out on top I realized, ‘Wow we really have something here.’”
Now Chiral is working with The Launch Pad to create a viral buzz around the developing business. This will include building a Web site, lining up meetings and plans to exhibit their pieces at the 2012 Swim Show in Miami.
“Our customers will identify with the Chiral brand in a way they have never been able to before, free to explore, interact and engage with images, media and online commerce in a way that has only just recently become possible,” Hirschfeld said.

Miranda Coleman may be contacted at mcoleman@themiamihurricane.com.

Miranda Coleman

Contributing news writer

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center offers a great place to exercise; but if you can’t make ...

The Miami Climate Symposium 2020: Predicting and Living with Extremes, a three-day event hosted by t ...

A continuation of the “What Matters to U” speaker series, the former Ohio governor will speak to stu ...

Thousands gathered at the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus for a weekend of creativity and ...

Some of the last uninhabited islands on the planet are serving as a natural laboratory for a Univers ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.