Toppel gives chance for networking

Students will get a chance to meet and network on Thursday with alumni and successful members of the Miami community at Toppel Career Center’s career symposium, the biggest networking event at the University of Miami to date.

“It is a one-day conference where we would have alumni come back and serve as panelists to empower students with advice about they’re experience after finishing up college,” said Christian Garcia, the director of Toppel.

Students are encouraged to wear business casual attire to the free event. The conference is open to alumni and current students.

“We have panelists from all different arenas from local reporter Eliot Rodriguez to Dr. Sean Kenniff in the healthcare field,” Garcia said. “All panelists will give advice and add a new perceptive to the conference.”

Approximately 18 alumni will be attending the conference and the majority of the panelists will also be alumni.

“One of the many goals of the event is to showcase the variety of career paths students can take after graduation and the benefits of a UM degree from an alumni perspective,” said Edwarwd Cruz, assistant director of graduate students and alumni programs at Toppel.

The event will open with a keynote speech at 9:30 a.m. A moderator will be present for each session to introduce the panelist and drive the conversations. After each panel there will be a question-and-answer period open to the students and alumni.

“The one obstacle was that students will be having class, so students are allowed just to come for one section depending on their schedule,” said Frits Bigham, assistant director of internships and assessment at Toppel.

Students and alumni must register on the Toppel Web site in order to attend the event, which will be held at the Newman Alumni Center.

“It is great when students can learn about a specific industry,” Garcia said. “It’s even better when they can hear it from an alum- someone who has been in their shoes.”

Elizabeth Nickerson may be contacted at enickerson@themiamihurricane.com.

Elizabeth Nickerson

Contributing News Editor

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...