Asian students launch fundraiser for Japan

Cindy Poon participates in the ramen-eating contest Wednesday on the Rock. Adrianne D'Angelo // Photo Editor

As the old Japanese tale goes, it takes a thousand origami cranes to make a wish come true. And that is exactly what the Asian American Student Association (AASA) is attempting to do.

As Japan faces a nuclear disaster, the AASA will be launching their Asian and Pacific Islander Heritage Month in April with their annual origami fundraising event on the Rock, which started March 29. Students and faculty are encouraged to donate $1 to write a message on a paper that will be folded into an origami crane.  Their goal is to fold 1,000 cranes within a week.

“It’s an old myth that if you fold 1,000 cranes, then you have a wish granted,”  said Catherine Wong, the AASA public relations representative. “We got really close last year. We were going to deliver them to a child in the hospital. This year, I am confident we can reach that goal because we started earlier.”

After the Japanese earthquake and tsunami, the AASA decided to give their annual monthly celebration a special meaning by using their events to raise money for the American Red Cross’ relief efforts in Japan.

In addition to these fundraising efforts, AASA will be hosting other events that focus on giving exposure to Asian and Pacific Islander traditions. Events will include a sushi-rolling tutorial and a Japanese tea ceremony. A noodle-eating contest was held Wednesday.

“Our point is to spread the Asian culture awareness to students,” Wong said.

The month is not exclusive to Asian students and all are encouraged to participate in the events.

“I was always interested in the Asian culture, which made me participate with the Asian Students Association this year even though I am not Asian,” AASA member Sophie Trautschold said.

More details will be announced during the AASA meeting on Friday.

Omar Dakheel may be contacted at odakheel@themiamihurricane.com.

Omar Dakheel

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...