Stockholm program offers multiple opportunities

STUDY ABROAD: Adib Cure (seated) and students gather to discuss city center plans and Gamla Stan in Stockholm, Sweden, during the 2010 Summer I session. Courtesy Adib J. Cure

Being environmentally friendly is no longer a trend, but a lifestyle.

UM is offering several classes and programs to teach students how to be greener, including Going Green in Stockholm, a summer study abroad session in Sweden that runs from May 20 to June 12.

In Stockholm, students will have the opportunity to meet with experts on climate change, rising ocean levels, pollution levels and the work corporations are doing to diminish pollution, sewage and water treatment.

“The environment is always relating to all our lives no matter what happens, thus I believe that this trip content will help us in our lives,” said sophomore Yuri Suzuki, who is going on the trip.

Students will meet Inga Winkler, who researches human rights as they relate to water and sanitation, and Renee Anderson, who pushed manufacturers in India and other countries to reduce pollution and other actions that harm the environment.

We’re planning to talk to environmental experts at Uppsala University on the pollution in the Baltic Sea and other environmental specialists at a center at the University of Stockholm,” said Joseph B. Treaster, professor and chair of the Knight Center at UM and a former New York Times correspondent, who is leading the trip. “We’ll be going to a neighborhood that was designed with the environment in mind and to a wilderness area where the air is so fresh your nose tingles.”

The session will earn students three or six credits in journalism or several other areas of study including international studies and ecosystems science and policy.

The cost of the trip is around $12,000, which includes tuition, accommodations and field trips.

Students should also expect to spend roughly $3,100 for airfare, meals, local transportation, a passport fee and personal expenses.

To apply, submit the application for UM courses abroad, found at miami.edu/index.php/study_abroad/ to Allen Hall room 111 by April 6.

The application must be signed by the instructor or have email approval. Treaster can be reached at treaster@miami.edu.

Joanelle Navarro may be contacted at jnavarro@themiamihurricane.com.

Joanelle Navarro

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...