Culture

Radcliffe stars in timeless ‘How to Succeed’

NEW YORK – Although the Pulitzer and Tony Award-winning play opened on Broadway 50 years ago, the second revival of “How to Succeed In Business Without Really Trying” delivers the same punch of wit and charm.
While still in previews before its official opening March 27 at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre in New York City, “How to Succeed” already runs like the well-oiled company portrayed in the musical.
Daniel Radcliffe, also known as the boy wizard from the Harry Potter series, shows range by singing, dancing and using an American accent.
It’s a far cry from his critically-acclaimed Broadway debut in 2008 when he played Alan Strang, the psychologically disturbed teenager in “Equus” who blinds six horses.
Here, Radcliffe’s character J. Pierrepont Finch tries to work his way to the top of the World Wide Wicket Company after starting off as a window washer. A book that shares the play’s name, narrated by Anderson Cooper (CNN’s “Anderson Cooper 360”), guides him every step of the way.
A secretary is not a toy. Get out of the mailroom. Never end up in the advertising department.
Though he doesn’t possess the best singing voice or dance moves, Radcliffe more than keeps up with his counterparts and portrays a likeable character, despite his manipulative steps to climb the corporate ladder.
One of the play’s highlights comes during “Grand Old Ivy,” when Finch dupes boss J.B. Biggley, played by Emmy winner John Larroquette (“Night Court”), in a football-inspired dance number. The penultimate song, “Brotherhood of Man,” shows off the ensemble’s talent.
With a satirical take on life in the 1950s, the show’s female characters certainly keep up with the boys.
Rose Hemingway’s Rosemary Pilkington is just as ambitious as Finch- her goal is to marry him and keep his dinner warm. Hedy La Rue, played by Tammy Blanchard, is the Joan equivalent from “Mad Men,” and proves to be more than just curves.
The play, which will run through the end of the year, is worth a weekend visit to the Big Apple. “How to Succeed” displays its surprising timelessness with things that never change, regardless of decade.
Just ask all the crazed workers in search of that final cup of coffee.

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at cdenicola@themiamihurricane.com.IF YOU GO

Where: Al Hirschfeld Theatre, 302 West 45th Street, New York City

When: Tuesday 7 p.m., Wednesday 2 p.m. & 8 p.m., Thursday 7 p.m., Friday 8 p.m., Saturday 2 p.m. & 8 p.m., Sunday 3 p.m.

Theatrical run: Through 2011

General rush: $30 limited tickets available at 10 a.m. the day of a performance

Ticket prices: Range from $52-132

More info: howtosucceedbroadway.com or @H2SBway

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...