Event to teach about saving money at the pump

Courtesy Ecogyzer

Drivers everywhere are trying to save money at the pump and the solution could be within reach.

Green U, a University of Miami environmental awareness organization, and the Go Green Auto Rally (GGAR), partnered for an event to teach practical ways to conserve fuel.

The event starts at 9:30 a.m. Thursday and lasts until Saturday at Miami City Hall in Coconut Grove.

As gas prices continue to increase, this new program seeks to reduce the amount of money spent at the pump by up to 25 percent.

“If the 1.6 million drivers in Florida followed the Go Green Auto driving technique it is projected that $1 billion a year in gas will be saved,” Joe Severns, communication director of GGAR., said.

Event participants can walk away with certificates that will show that they have learned to drive greener after using the EcoGyzer phone application to learn about their driving skills.

“There are three principles in mind: safety, sustainability and savings,” Severns said.

Ian McKweon, sustainability coordinator at UM, supports the event and its message.

“The involvement of our community does makes a large difference overall to the health of our planet,” McKweon said.

Students, famous racecar drivers and professional driving instructors got behind the wheel to learn how to drive greener.

“Green drivers aren’t slow drivers,” said Jean Paul Libert, CEO of GGAR. “It’s just a technical alternative that people are looking for to cut cost.”

Jhanile Smith may be contacted at jsmith@themiamihurricane.com.

EcoGyzer app

The EcoGyzer One Trip phone application calculates how “green” drivers are by computing several factors related to driving skill and then provides suggestions to improve “green” driving skills.

Summary will indicate

Evaluation of your driving style/attitude

Mileage

Time

Total CO2 emissions

Jhanile Smith

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...