Matisyahu’s new beats continue to prove his talent

courtesy zimbio.com

“Live at Stubb’s Vol. II” is a return to form and a nostalgia-tinged throwback for Matisyahu, the world-

famous (and sometimes infamous) Hasidic reggae artists. It seems like being an avid Matisyahu fan is a
rite of passage for Jewish young adults across the nation: first the Bar Mitzvah, then Matisyahu fandom,
and then Birthright Israel.
Matisyahu is the rare artist who seems to shine in live performances rather than on the album tracks
themselves. “Live at Stubb’s, Vol. I” may have been the most decisive factor in Matiyshau’s meteoric rise
a few years ago – first he was an underground favorite, then he was a breakout success, and then he
became the musical mascot of every Hillel group across America.
Matisyahu, however, is undeniably talented. Perhaps one has to be a little open-minded to accept so
much Judaic philosophy in reggae music, but one should also remember that reggae and Rastafarianism
are normally inseparable ideas. Sometimes the whole concept of an orthodox reggae artist seems like a
bit of a gimmick, but Matisyahu somehow makes it work to his advantage.
The best track on “Live at Stubb’s, Vol. II” is “Youth,” which was the best track on the 2006 album of
the same title. There are no real problem songs on the album, and while many tracks on the CD sound
similar, this does not pose any real disadvantage. Matisyahu is still a phenomenally talented artist, and if
anything, “Live at Stubb’s, Vol. II” proves that readers should do whatever necessary to get their hands
on a ticket for this Thursday’s performance.
Rating: 3/4 stars
Release Date: Feb. 1, 2011
Label: MRI Associated Labels

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...