Baseball, Sports

Man’s best friend enjoys pasttime

Princess Poodle sits in cane cheer outfit next to owner, Diane Haws. She says that "her son couldn't make it to the game tonight so Princess got to have his seat all to herself." Sagette Van Embden//The Miami Hurricane

Alex Rodriguez Park allowed a different breed of fans at the game against Illinois State Tuesday night.

This was the first year that the UM athletic marketing department has held a “Bark in the Park” night, when fans were invited to bring their dogs to the game, similar to events held by the Florida Marlins.

It was such a success that they are looking to repeat the event next year. The purpose behind the night was to promote Hurricane baseball to the whole community, including furry four-legged fans.

“I love coming to all the baseball games, but it was cool to switch it up today and bring my dogs,” said Anthony Perez, a UM law student, who brought his dogs, Lulu and Napoleon.

The Humane Society and PetSmart sponsored the night. PetSmart provided attendees and their puppies with the proper dog necessities such as pooper-scoopers, poop bags and water bowls. The fluffy friends were also given dog treats and toys.

The Humane Society even brought along a few of their own dogs to the event, which were up for adoption.

“The only reason I came to the game tonight was to see the puppies,” Samantha Stonish said. “I love puppies; I almost took one home with me.”

The baseball administration were happy with the outcome of the event.

“I was very impressed by the turnout,” said Barbara Blocker, an intern to the assistant director of athletics marketing. “We hope to see more dogs join us at the park next year.”

Michelle Salom may be contacted at msalom@themiamihurricane.com.

Michelle Salom

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...