Baseball, Sports

Illinois State splits midweek series with struggling Canes

Sophomore Chantz Mack swings during the game against Illinois on Wednesday, March 9. Jessica Hodder//The Miami Hurricane

Jim Morris is back in the dugout, but the Canes are still struggling.

After missing the better part of the last two weeks recovering from surgery to remove his gall bladder, the veteran head baseball coach returned to see his team split a two-game series against Illinois State.

Miami (5-8) won Tuesday night’s opener against the Redbirds in extra innings 5-4, but fell on Wednesday night 9-2.

Miami struggled while Morris was out. During his absence the Canes were swept by Florida and fell out of the top 30 in all major polls for the first time since 1999.

“I’m depressed when I watch the games right now,” Morris said. “We’ve got to play the game better.”

In the eighth inning of Wednesday night’s game, Morris benched junior Harold Martinez, who is hitting below .200 on the season.

“He’s struggling… this is a big year for him. He’s got to get it done,” Morris said of Martinez, who led Miami with 21 home runs in 2010. “I told him [that]nobody feels sorry for him, nobody feels sorry for us.”

In Tuesday night’s win the Hurricanes produced arguably their most clutch hit of the season. With the game tied at four in the bottom of the 11th inning junior Rony Rodriguez drilled an 0-1 pitch over the wall for a walk-off home run.

“I wasn’t looking for a home run. I was trying to get on base, trying to put the ball in play,” said Rodriguez, who leads the Canes with two home runs on the year. “I got a little under [the ball]and it went out.”

The dramatic victory was a relief for Morris.

“I feel good,” Morris said after Tuesday night’s victory. “I’m a little weak from surgery. Two things that made me feel best to be honest was getting back on the field and getting a win. Those two things were definitely a cure that they didn’t have at the hospital.”

On Wednesday night, however, the Canes played a very sloppy game all around, committing three errors on the way to the team’s third midweek loss of the season.

“We didn’t play very well tonight… we made errors. Our bullpen didn’t pitch well. We didn’t hit with guys on base, we took too many called third strikes,” Morris said.

Many are wondering if this squad has enough talent to get back to the NCAA regionals.

“We’ve got some young players that have potential to be good players. The word potential is always scary because that means that you’ve got a chance to be a good player, doesn’t mean that you are a good player,” Morris said.

The Hurricanes will welcome Virginia Tech for a three-game series at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field. All three games can be heard on 90.5 WVUM.

Adam Berger may be contacted at aberger@themiamihurricane.com.

Adam Berger

Staff Sports Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...