Basketball, Sports

Do or die: Postseason plans hinge on tourney performance

Adrian Thomas prepares to throw the ball during the game against Maryland on Wednesday, March 2. Adrianne D'Angelo//The Miami Hurricane

The Miami Hurricanes are against the wall and have no room for error.
The No. 9-seed Canes must win at least one game in the ACC Tournament. But it won’t be easy for the Hurricanes; they will play the No. 8-seed Virginia Cavaliers in the first round in Greensboro, N.C.
After a tough ride through the ACC this year, Miami’s record sits at 18-13 and 6-10 in the ACC. The Canes would have to win the ACC tournament in order for them to reach the NCAA tournament, but one win could earn them a bid to the NIT.
The Canes are used to making a run in the ACC tournament. In four of the past five tournaments, Miami has won at least one game.
The last time the Hurricanes lost in the first round of the ACC Tournament, they went to the NIT. Miami had an 18-12 and 7-9 ACC record that season.
Last year, the Canes got hot in the ACC tournament and reached the semifinals, but lost to the eventual ACC and National Champion Duke Blue Devils, 77-74. Miami had a halftime lead and then-freshman Durand Scott finished with 21 points.
The Hurricanes have already played on this court this season, beating North Carolina Greensboro, 78-58. Four players scored double-digit points and the Canes nailed 12 3-pointers.
Head coach Frank Haith knows it is important for his team to continue to play another game after the ACC tournament.
“This team needs to play games,” said Haith, whose team missed out on postseason play last year. “Outside of Adrian [Thomas], everybody is back [next season]. Whether it’s the NCAA tournament or NIT, we’d be very happy to compete in the postseason. It’s important for this team to get into the postseason.”
Earlier this season when the Hurricanes played Virginia, Miami had to force overtime and eventually won 80-78 at the BankUnited Center. Virginia was leading the Canes by 5 points with 38 seconds remaining in regulation but blew the lead. Miami rallied behind guard Malcolm Grant’s free throws, a 3-pointer by freshman Rion Brown, and three free throws by Brown. The Cavaliers fouled the Canes on two 3-point tries in the final minute.
The Hurricanes will need their stars to step up in the ACC tournament. Grant was named to the All-ACC Third Team and redshirt sophomore forward Reggie Johnson earned honorable mention.
Grant was one of two players to lead the ACC in three different statistical categories. He leads the league in 3-point field percentage (.436), 3-point field goals made per game (2.6) and free throw percentage (.873).
If the Hurricanes win, the Canes will play No. 1-seed North Carolina. Miami lost to UNC in the final minute, 74-71, earlier this season.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at lledoux@themiamihurricane.com.

Lelan LeDoux

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...