A desperate plea from someone left out in the cold

I’ve been a good boy, honest! Why then, Department of Housing, did you deprive me of accommodations next year? I feel personally insulted. The lottery process makes no sense. Clearly the better people should get housing. I am better! Pick me!

I was already planning to make a panini in my UV apartment. How can you deprive someone who was already fantasizing about glorious sandwiches of housing? I had a future with basil, prosciutto, fresh tomatoes and mozzarella, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette on a crunchy baguette! And now my dream has been crushed.

I did not understand the pain of the Libyan protestors until I saw the decree on the myUM Web site. They have Gaddafi and we have the Department of Housing and Residential Life. Our overlords don’t even travel with tents and wear exotic outfits. The Libyan people aren’t being kicked out of the UV to the cutthroat housing market of Miami. They don’t have to deal with rush-hour traffic on US1.

Of course, no word yet from the Obama administration. He stood for democracy in the State of the Union. He did offer an enthusiastic response to the Tunisian rebellion. Now human rights observers critique his inconsistent attitude about the more recent crises in the Middle East. Mr. President, I implore you to protect your young American citizens from being forcibly displaced from their homes. Honor your commitment to democracy and prevent this autocratic atrocity!

I’m a reasonable guy. I’ve agonized about this commitment. My stomach turned over and over again. I’ve decided to capitulate. Sigh. I will eat Chartwell’s food for a fourth year! Don’t you see I am at your mercy here? You can even give me a cot in the School of Nursing. It is important that UM’s future nurses start training in dealing with the most needy patients early. They’ll be battle-hardened and ready after one year of serving me.

Fellow evicted residents, we shall trudge together from our homes in solidarity! I hope our “trail of tears” does not end in abject misery. We have placed our names on the waiting list- our souls are being held in limbo until the pearly gates hopefully open.

Josh Kornfield is a junior majoring in international studies and political science. He may be contacted at
jkornfield@themiamihurricane.com
.

Josh Kornfield

Senior Columnist

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...