News briefs 3/7

Organize your community

The Direct Action & Research Training (DART) Center will be at the University of Miami Monday to discuss career options for students in community organizing. Students interested in empowering their communities and working for social justice can meet in University Center Room 241 at 5:30 p.m. to see how they can bring about social change.

International Law Programs

The Miami Law Lecture Series is hosting Professor Karl-Heinz Bockstiegel, Professor Emeritus at the University of Cologne in Germany, at a lecture titled “Suggestions for Preparing and Conducting a Hearing in International Arbitration.” The event will take place Tuesday at 12:30 p.m. in the Reading Room (Law Library) D201.

Joint Degree Program Offered

The University of Miami School of Law is now offering a joint degree program in Law and Communications, the first interdisciplinary program at the University of Miami that will allow students to earn a J.D. and an M.A. in communication in less than three and a half years.

In this program, a law student can choose from three different M.A. programs within the School of Communication: journalism, public relations, and communications studies. The program will allow nine J.D. credits to be applied to the M.A. degree and six M.A. credits to be applied to the J.D. degree, saving the student 15 credits between the two programs.

Currently enrolled students can apply for the joint program by submitting a personal statement to sabraham@law.miami.edu. Applications are due April 1.

Last week for COSO applications

The Committee on Sudent Organizations (COSO) is now accepting applications for the 2011-2012 school year. Applications are due at the Smith Tucker Involvement Center at 5 p.m. on Friday. For more information, visit miami.edu/coso.

Compiled by Alexandra Leon who may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...