Males fall behind, stuck in pre-adulthood

Where have all the good men gone? Every girl has asked herself this question at some point or another. It seems like it’s taking longer and longer for boys to become men these days.

Many men in their 20s are stagnant in a new stage of human development called pre-adulthood, or lengthened adolescence. This is not the case with everyone, but there are enough boys falling into this category to make it a phenomenon.

Among today’s pre-adults, women are not only graduating from college in greater numbers, but also have higher GPAs than men. According to a recent article in The Wall Street Journal, women are more likely than men to succeed in graduate school and the workplace.

While women are busy working their way up in this competitive economy, getting married and having children right out of college has become optional and less common. Many are left wondering, “where are all the good guys?”

Generally, sociologists define adulthood with five milestones: finishing school, leaving home, becoming financially independent, getting married and having children. In the past, the average American male in his 20s would have surpassed what we would generally call “adulthood.” However, today the transition to adulthood is happening later than ever.

In colleges filled with overconfident frat boys, socially awkward nerds and apathetic slackers, it’s no wonder why women are more academically successful than men. Rather than focusing on personal growth, today’s pre-adult males are more interested in immature fart jokes, playing Call of Duty all day and quoting Will Ferrell.

What happened to the positive male qualities like courage, patience and fidelity? It seems as if the old role of men has become extinct and the new role is just plain embarrassing. It sure as hell isn’t a turn on and doesn’t bring the best out of men.

Ladies, don’t waste your time on these boys. It takes time and patience to find someone you can respect and open your heart to that doesn’t drive you up a wall. Guys, grow up. Until then, we’re holding out for a hero.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...