Males fall behind, stuck in pre-adulthood

Where have all the good men gone? Every girl has asked herself this question at some point or another. It seems like it’s taking longer and longer for boys to become men these days.

Many men in their 20s are stagnant in a new stage of human development called pre-adulthood, or lengthened adolescence. This is not the case with everyone, but there are enough boys falling into this category to make it a phenomenon.

Among today’s pre-adults, women are not only graduating from college in greater numbers, but also have higher GPAs than men. According to a recent article in The Wall Street Journal, women are more likely than men to succeed in graduate school and the workplace.

While women are busy working their way up in this competitive economy, getting married and having children right out of college has become optional and less common. Many are left wondering, “where are all the good guys?”

Generally, sociologists define adulthood with five milestones: finishing school, leaving home, becoming financially independent, getting married and having children. In the past, the average American male in his 20s would have surpassed what we would generally call “adulthood.” However, today the transition to adulthood is happening later than ever.

In colleges filled with overconfident frat boys, socially awkward nerds and apathetic slackers, it’s no wonder why women are more academically successful than men. Rather than focusing on personal growth, today’s pre-adult males are more interested in immature fart jokes, playing Call of Duty all day and quoting Will Ferrell.

What happened to the positive male qualities like courage, patience and fidelity? It seems as if the old role of men has become extinct and the new role is just plain embarrassing. It sure as hell isn’t a turn on and doesn’t bring the best out of men.

Ladies, don’t waste your time on these boys. It takes time and patience to find someone you can respect and open your heart to that doesn’t drive you up a wall. Guys, grow up. Until then, we’re holding out for a hero.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

A week full of spirit, friendly competition and ’Canes pride was on display during Homecoming and Al ...

Griffin Berkenfeld, a University of Miami senior and director of CaneStage’s upcoming production of ...

With public impeachment hearings set to begin Wednesday, University of Miami experts weigh in on wha ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the changes in Miami, and what the future could bring to nei ...

The history of the Caribbean city will be examined during a two-day symposium this week featuring ar ...

Buoyed by a game-best 17 points and a career-high 10 rebounds from Kameron McGusty, who posted his f ...

The Miami men's basketball team will play its first road game of the season Tuesday night at 9 ...

Katie Meier has sent more than a few of her assistant coaches on to direct their own programs. And W ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will take the court on Wednesday morning in fro ...

The Hurricanes gave their seniors one more memorable game at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday. What can Mi ...