Males fall behind, stuck in pre-adulthood

Where have all the good men gone? Every girl has asked herself this question at some point or another. It seems like it’s taking longer and longer for boys to become men these days.

Many men in their 20s are stagnant in a new stage of human development called pre-adulthood, or lengthened adolescence. This is not the case with everyone, but there are enough boys falling into this category to make it a phenomenon.

Among today’s pre-adults, women are not only graduating from college in greater numbers, but also have higher GPAs than men. According to a recent article in The Wall Street Journal, women are more likely than men to succeed in graduate school and the workplace.

While women are busy working their way up in this competitive economy, getting married and having children right out of college has become optional and less common. Many are left wondering, “where are all the good guys?”

Generally, sociologists define adulthood with five milestones: finishing school, leaving home, becoming financially independent, getting married and having children. In the past, the average American male in his 20s would have surpassed what we would generally call “adulthood.” However, today the transition to adulthood is happening later than ever.

In colleges filled with overconfident frat boys, socially awkward nerds and apathetic slackers, it’s no wonder why women are more academically successful than men. Rather than focusing on personal growth, today’s pre-adult males are more interested in immature fart jokes, playing Call of Duty all day and quoting Will Ferrell.

What happened to the positive male qualities like courage, patience and fidelity? It seems as if the old role of men has become extinct and the new role is just plain embarrassing. It sure as hell isn’t a turn on and doesn’t bring the best out of men.

Ladies, don’t waste your time on these boys. It takes time and patience to find someone you can respect and open your heart to that doesn’t drive you up a wall. Guys, grow up. Until then, we’re holding out for a hero.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...