Environmental action group coming to UM

Susana Marin and Sean Ahearn have I.D.E.A.S. to spread around campus.

Intellectual Decisions on Environmental Awareness Solutions (I.D.E.A.S.) is a new non-profit organization at the University of Miami that Marin said aims to “create proactive university and community groups which work towards addressing local, regional and national environmental challenges, while finding realistic solutions to combat issues we face today.”

The group began in South Florida at Florida International University, but Marin and Ahearn have aspirations of making I.D.E.A.S an official UM student organization.

Marin and Ahearn have a clear idea for where they want the UM group to go.

“Sean and I have many goals for I.D.E.A.S., but our main focus is to create greener minds for tomorrow,” Marin said.

Ahearn stressed that global warming is a real issue and that the environment must be kept at equilibrium.

“More awareness education and positive reinforcement leads to people with better habits for the Earth,” Ahearn said.

Marin and Ahearn also want club members to be active in helping environmental causes, including a healthy dose of volunteer work at beach and sandbar clean-ups or by supporting programs such as the Kill-A-Watt energy efficiency project in the University Village.

The club, which recently presented its constitution to COSO, has rough plans to meet in the Copernicus Observatory on top of Ungar building. At least 30 students are already jumping on board with I.D.E.A.S. and even more are expected to join after COSO gives it final approval.

Freshman Jeremy Upsal is a concerned student who likes the idea of I.D.E.A.S.

“Our Earth is an important place and we must preserve it,” Upsal said.

For more information about I.D.E.A.S., contact Marin at s.marin2@umiami.edu.

Manuel Centurion may be contacted at mcenturion@themiamihurricane.com.

Manuel Centurion

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...