Eisley takes new direction

“The Valley” reminisces on the familiar musicality and lyrics heard on Eisley’s past records. The mystical feel of “Room Noises” and the rock vibe on “Combinations” synergize to form Eisley’s third full-length album. However, the arrangements on this record surpass the group’s gloomy pop sound.

Although tracks like “The Valley,” “Kind” and “Mr. Moon” show the band is somewhat sticking to their roots, others such as “Smarter and Better Love” demonstrate the new direction the family quintet is taking.

The lyrics seem more mature and honest, maybe due to the hardships they have undergone as a family in the past few years. Sherri DuPree, a vocalist and guitarist in the band, endured a crumbling marriage with Chad Gilbert of New Found Glory in 2007.

The divorce inspired her sister and fellow band member, Stacy DuPree, to write the song “Ambulance.” The song is the most emotional on the album with powerful vocals and lyrics like, “Cause I was told to get out/Told to leave/Told I have my things in the parking lot.”

Smarter also focuses on a painful break-up. However, the song does not demonstrate the potential Eisley has shown in the past. On the other hand, Oxygen Mask and I Wish show off the group’s talent with a focus on simpler sounds, such as the piano throughout both tracks in addition to the violins in the background.

As opposed to their last album, The Valley shows Eisley going back to its roots, which should satisfy fans. Nevertheless, the maturity demonstrated in some of the tracks shows the band is growing up and taking a new direction.

Nicky Diaz may be contacted at ndiaz@themiamihurricane.com.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...