YouNiversity of Miami: Miami Events

For anybody who has ever read my articles before, first off, I’m sorry, and second, you know my passion to appreciate the college experience and to take advantage of the beautiful, wild city that exists so close to our campus. I’ve talked about how to enjoy life more on a day-to-day basis, how to spend more time outside than inside, and taking pride in the fact that you are an honorary, if not native, Floridian now!

The three channels I watch exclusively are Comedy Central, The Food Network, and The Playbo…. ESPN. For those of you who don’t know, The Food Network is hosting a South Beach Food & Wine festival from February 24-27. There are classes on wine tasting, events featuring The Best Thing I Ever Ate, many of the iconic Food Network personalities, and much more. This is an event that is, pun intended, very sweet.

If food isn’t necessarily your passion like it is for me, the South Beach Comedy festival will run from March 2-5, and will feature such headliners as Doug Benson, Adam Carolla, Kevin Hart, Gabriel Iglesias, and Wanda Sykes. A free area will feature smaller name and local comedians doing stand-up continuously on Lincoln road as well. Overall, this event looks so amazing that its not even… funny! Oh, I have jokes for days. And all of them are as terrible.

The 48th annual Coconut Grove Arts Festival ran February 19-21, was a little more low-key than the other two festivals, but that doesn’t mean it was any less fun. Over three hundred artists from all over the world displayed their works, and last year more than four million dollars worth of artwork was sold in the three days. It was a fantastic opportunity to go for a walk in the beautiful weather, sample fine cuisine, enjoy live entertainment, and see some fascinating artwork.

We live in such a vibrant and exciting city that you can almost feel the heartbeat, and luckily we draw huge events because of it. So take advantage of these happenings that don’t occur anywhere else, because let me tell you, those friends that are stuck in a snowdrift would jump at the chance.

Evan Peskin is a junior majoring in pre-med psychology. He may be contacted at epeskin@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Peskin

Staff Columnist

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...