Vegan waffles top the charts

The remnants of a successful Sweat Waffle Party at Sweat Records on Sunday February 27. The event is held twice a month. "We had a nice early turnout today. Some people got here before we even opened," said Lolo Reskin, owner of Sweat Records. Jessica Hodder // The Miami Hurricane

Little Haiti’s Sweat Records serves not only as a local vinyl distributer, but also as a music venue, bakery and coffee bar.

Now the quirky record store has another reason to be included in your weekend plans: brunch, and not your typical eggs-and-bacon breakfast, we’re talking a vegan waffle party.

“With something like waffles, you can’t really tell the difference between a waffle that is vegan and one that isn’t,” said Sweat Records owner Lauren “Lolo” Reskin as she poured a homemade dairy-free batter into a Belgian waffle maker.

The waffle madness began last year in May as part of the 2010 Global Vegan Waffle Party. The store held sporadic waffle parties following the event and it has recently developed into an every-other-Sunday gathering.

The history of waffles can be traced back to the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, when flat cakes known as “wafers” were eaten by peasants and kings alike.

At Sweat Records, waffles continue their history of bringing together a diverse crowd, from club-goers still out from the night before to families with young children.

“For vegans in Miami, there aren’t a lot of brunch options,” Reskin said.

With few choices available, healthy alternatives are even harder to find. Sweat Records’ whole-wheat waffles, made with mostly organic ingredients, provide a healthy, unconventional brunch option.

Toppings line a large table from end to end, including fresh berries, bananas, homemade soy whipped cream, chocolate pudding, almond butter and Mexican chocolate sauce, to name a few.

“You’re just as full without all the junk,” said Tori Tighe, a waffle party attendee. “Just one little waffle is more filling than an entire plate at Denny’s.”

Reskin’s hope is for people to realize that being vegan “doesn’t mean you have to eat tofu all the time.”

And so far, she said, no one has been disappointed.

IF YOU GO

The next vegan waffle party will take place on March 13 from noon-3 p.m. at Sweat Records (5505 NE 2nd Ave., Miami).

Each vegan waffle with toppings costs $6.

Lauren Shepherd may be contacted at lshepherd@themiamihurricane.com.

Lauren Shepherd

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

No. 42 Adria Soriano Barrera collects top-25 victory against No. 21 Alexis Galarneau ...

Check out the UM Department of Athletics' e-magazine for April. ...