Spring’s most heated trends

Marlena Skrobe // Photo Editor

With the return of Miami’s infamous heat, students at the University of Miami are beginning to sizzle with exciting accessories and daring footwear in March… but others are still left out in the cold, unaware of this month’s latest trends. Read on to learn the secrets of comfortable shoes, flats gone horribly wrong, mysteriously alluring pants and jewelry glitz.

Crocs
Now that we’re on the topic of shoes, let me tell you I was simply taken aback when I saw a girl wearing ballet flat crocs. No, I do not mean crocodile-skin flats. Crocs, those disgusting plastic shoes, in ballet flat form, in bubblegum pink. I physically cringed when I saw someone wearing them in English class one morning, so please don’t be a fashion victim if you own a pair. Toss them or save them for a sorority mixer (theme: ballerinas gone horribly wrong).

PajamaJeans
When I originally saw the infomercial for PajamaJeans I thought they were appalling. People are already wearing leggings as pants, so why should we confuse them with these pseudo jeans? I was horrified. But each time the commercials come on TV, the PajamaJeans become more and more alluring. I am sorry to say that I secretly want to order a pair of these mysterious pants that “look like denim… but feel like PJs.” Come on, what could be better for those late nights studying in the stacks?

Monogrammed pendants
Students across campus have recently been wearing gold, monogrammed pendants and I am obsessed with the ladylike charms. Whether it’s just an initial or a full monogram design on the pendant, this personal touch adds an extra air of elegance to an outfit. Tiffany, Max and Cleo, and Ross Simons in particular offer very versatile options, but designs are available in a variety of price ranges from most jewelers.

TOMS shoes
TOMS shoes are a modern replacement for classic Keds; they casually blend with your outfit and are super comfortable. Everyone has been wearing them lately. These shoes are great for the walk to class and come in a wide variety of colors and styles (there’s a new wedge version of their classic shoe- super cute). They also help provide footwear for children in need. Fashion and philanthropy in one fell swoop!

Danielle Kaslow may be contacted at dkaslow@themiamihurricane.com.

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...