Graduate comes of age after a wild night

Courtesy impawards.com

The shoulder pads, excess materialism, dance music and drug use that defined the ‘80s come back to life in the comedy “Take Me Home Tonight.” Unlike period pieces that spoof the disco decade (remember Adam Sandler in “The Wedding Singer?”), “Take Me Home Tonight” explores the ‘80s with dignity, paying homage to the entertaining coming of age stories that made director John Hughes (“Pretty in Pink,” “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” “The Breakfast Club”) a Hollywood legend.

The film tells the story of Matt Franklin (Topher Grace), a nerdy yet charming MIT graduate stuck living with his family and working at a video rental store. His luck, sobriety and sanity do a 180 during one wild night with his high school crush, Tori Frederking (Teresa Palmer).

The Miami Hurricane interviewed the co-stars during a recent stop in Miami.

The Miami Hurricane: The sex scenes are super hot. Did you guys feel into it? Were you in that moment?

Teresa Palmer: I was so in it. I don’t know about [Topher].

Topher Grace: Here’s what happened on the set. And this has only happened to me only a couple times. Teresa got a little unprofessional.

Palmer: I got a little carried away with myself.

Grace: A little handsy.

TMH: Teresa, out of all the men you’ve been with…

Palmer: Been with? What?

TMH: On camera. How does Topher compare?

Palmer:  I think he’s a close second to Daniel Radcliffe from “Harry Potter.”

Grace: Oh. Out of the two you’ve been with, I’m number two and Daniel Radcliffe is the first one?

Palmer: Um, no. There’s actually been a few more, buddy. I sort of had a makeout scene with Adam Sandler. It was just a little peck, but sorry.

Grace: Now I’m back to number three.

Palmer: Yeah, you’ve been bumped down a little. And Stephen Moyer from “True Blood.”

Grace: Oh my God, I am number four.

TMH: Topher, Anna Faris plays your sister in the movie. Her boyfriend is played by Chris Pratt, who is her husband in real life.

Palmer: Yes, they met on the movie!

Grace: He proposes to her in the film. It doesn’t go so well for that couple, but in real life [they]wound up getting married. In a lot of the [film]junkets, you say, ‘We were all really good friends.’ The truth is that’s not the truth most of the time. We all remained really close. I feel like when the cast is that good of friends… it bleeds into the movie.

To read or watch more of the interview, log on to themiamihurricane.com.

Nick Maslow may be contacted at nick@themiamihurricane.com.

Nick Maslow

Of the Staff

Hosmay Lopez, a meteorologist at the University of Miami Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmosp ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...