Ultra’s exclusivity contract loses Swedish House Mafia

If you are one of the thousands of fans who were looking forward to seeing Swedish House Mafia (SHM) perform at this year’s Ultra Music Festival (UMF), then you are in for a major disappointment. For those of you who haven’t heard yet, SHM will not be attending Ultra this year because of UMF’s exclusivity contract. This contract states that any artist who performs at Ultra cannot perform anywhere else in Miami during the entire weekend. Ultra’s selfish and monopolistic contract has definitely bit them in the butt because little did they know they would lose one of the most popular performers in their 2011 lineup.

When SHM fans heard this news, it created such a stir that the Winter Music Conference extended their one-week convention so that all DJs performing at Ultra could perform at local clubs TWO weeks prior to Ultra instead of just one. However, this was not enough of an incentive to have some artists, such as SHM, sign. Instead, Swedish House Mafia decided to come back to Miami during UMF for an encore performance of the Miami Masquerade Ball, which they debuted in October. The “One Night Stand at Masquerade Motel” consists of a custom made arena, a state of the art light show, and an incredible lineup of specials guests joining them this time who have also declined Ultra’s contract. SHM took a bold risk to compete with UMF, but thanks to loyal SHM fans, that turned out to be a wise decision.

As of right now, both UMF and SHM are both entirely sold out. Due to Ultra’s exclusivity contract, a lot of talent has been lost from this year’s music festival. It’s a shame that many fans had to decide on selling their Saturday Ultra ticket to attend SHM’s Masquerade or missing out on a 10-hour SHM extravaganza. Hopefully Ultra will change their contract for next year’s festival to unite ALL fans and ALL performers at Bicentennial Park for an entire weekend of music madness!

Sari Libbin is a sophomore majoring in psychology and public relations. She may be contacted at slibbin@themiamihurricane.com.

Sari Libbin

Contributing EDGE writer

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...