Staff editorial: Diversity promotes enrichment

White? Check. Black or African American? Check. Asian? Check.
Today, many young Americans are identifying themselves as more than one race. According to The New York Times, “young adults of mixed backgrounds are rejecting color lines that have defined Americans for generations in favor of a much more fluid sense of identity.”
When the government first allowed people to mark off more than one race in the 2000 U.S. Census, the results disclosed that there were about seven million multiracial people living in our country. Due to the demographic shift caused by immigration and intermarriage, multiracial Americans have become the country’s fastest growing population segment.
In fact, college students include the largest group of mixed-race people. Many colleges, such as the University of Maryland, have created student organizations like the Multiracial and Biracial Student Association to unite the multicultural population of the university.
With this in mind, we wonder not only how this demographic shift will change our country, but also how it will affect the diversity within our campus.
As an institution that currently consists of a variety of races, ethnicities, languages and faiths, UM has done a remarkable job in promoting a multicultural environment and recruiting diverse students over the years. We have become one of the most diverse campuses in the nation, and students find this to be one of the perks of attending UM. In fact, about half of our student population is Hispanic, Asian-American or African American, and about one in eight students are international students.
The number of students with mixed backgrounds at UM is increasing. We believe that this new demographic shift does not only increase race and class interaction on our campus, but also reflects the increasingly diverse face of our nation.
Being in a multicultural city can only enrich students’ college experiences as they come to understand different cultures. The growth of the multiracial population will not only blend races together, but will also create an environment that affirms and celebrates diversity on campus and in the community.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...