Football, Sports

Kirby Hocutt headed to Texas Tech

After two and a half years leading Miami’s athletic programs, Kirby Hocutt will be leaving the Hurricanes to accept the vacant Athletic Director position at Texas Tech University.

University president Donna Shalala announced the news in a press statement on Friday afternoon.

“I am deeply disappointed that after only two-and-a-half years of a very successful tenure as leader of our athletics programs, Kirby Hocutt has decided to accept the AD position at Texas Tech,” she said. “We did everything we could to convince him to stay, but in the end it was an intensely personal decision. I thank Kirby for his integrity, leadership, and dedication to the University.”

Reports of the possible hiring started forming Wednesday night, when there were reports that Hocutt was already in Texas to interview for the position. He was offered the job on Thursday, but there was no official confirmation of his decision until Friday afternoon’s announcement.

The last few months have been busy for Hocutt, with the firing of former head football coach Randy Shannon and the national search for his replacement that concluded with the hiring of Al Golden just two months ago. Hocutt has not yet made a statement announcing his decision.

Stay tuned to themiamihurricane.com as we await any updates regarding the situation.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...