Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes win third straight road game

A sense of direction was needed for the Miami Hurricanes for the remaining of the season and head coach Frank Haith delivered.

The night before the game Haith spoke to the team about not giving up, not quitting on each other, and how do you want people to see you as a player.

The Miami Hurricanes responded and made a statement for their head coach.

Leading by 21 points at halftime, the Hurricanes held on from a second half surge from Boston College winning, 73-64.

The Canes (17-11,5-8) have won three straight roads games now, including two ACC games and have five of their last seven.

The entire team scored and four players had double digits points.

“We all talked and had one on ones. Heart felt messages,” said Haith, who team had a balance offensive production. “They responded. Some things are going to happen to this team. Lets get better from this game and what did we learn from this game.”

Boston College (16-11,6-7) was a bubble team and was being project as a team to make the NCAA Tournament. However, Miami could have ended their hopes as the Canes jumped out early and didn’t let up going to halftime, 38-18.

The Eagles shot 30 percent from the floor and were 1-for-9 from three-point territory. Boston College had eight turnovers and was outrebounded, 21-10, to a swarming Miami defense.

“I thought our intensity and focused was unbelievable at the beginning of the game,” Haith said. “That first half was one of the best of the season.”

Boston College got within seven points but back-to-back three point plays by redshirt sophomore forward Reggie Johnson put the Eagles back into a hole. Johnson scored 12 of

“Those plays were big,” Haith, said about the back-to-back three point plays by Johnson. “We kept making plays. We found some composure.”

When the two teams matched up at the BankUnited Center back in January, the game down to the wire. Trailing 68-67 with 21 seconds remaining, the Eagles had the chance to take the lead but junior guard Reggie Jackson drive was blocked by redshirt forward Julian Gamble and the Canes ended up winning, 70-67. Jackson had 22 points in that game but was held to 15 points on 5-for-14 from the field in this contest.

Jackson was averaging 18 points per game and shooting 49 percent from the field.

“It was a tough 15 for him,” Haith said. “We had all eyes on him. We had some great close outs on him.”

Haith was impressed how his team handle Boston College run towards the end of the game. The Eagles out scored the Hurricanes 47-35 in the second half.

“We scarped it out,” Haith said. “We came out with an A for that tonight.”

The Hurricanes have three ACC games remaining, their next game at Florida State Saturday.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at lledoux@themiamihurricane.com.

Lelan LeDoux

Contributing EDGE Writer

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...