Staff Editorial 2/24: Paint the town orange and green

As of Wednesday afternoon, a new generation of Student Government (SG) was elected to determine the future of the orange and green. The “Taking U Forward” team is ready to take those colors and paint spirit across campus.

The Miami Hurricane thinks that the most noteworthy of the new SG executive board’s platforms is its “Spirit the U” initiative. “Taking U Forward” has plans of instilling a sense of Hurricane pride in anyone, whether students or visitors, from the moment they step on campus.

“Taking U Forward” wants to begin this process with the improvement of the University Center. With white walls, old rugs and worn couches, the UC provides a not-so-comfy, unattractive second home to many commuters and students in between classes. The new SG proposes adding school colors and mascots to the boring UC to create a more spirited student lounge.

Among many other ideas, the team has intentions of organizing bigger and more fun pep rallies before athletic events with Category 5, as well as expanding Hurricane Force.  The newly elected president, vice president and treasurer want to make sure that every student is excited and aware of every game; it is important that students are as dedicated to rooting for their home team as the players are on the field.

We hope that “Taking U Forward” effectively promotes school spirit because of the lack of UM pride in recent generations. Living in a bustling city with a popular nightlife, being a college student can come second to being a Miami resident. Academics can be a secondary selling point to those considering our school.

Feeling a sense of pride in your school requires feeling comfortable and welcome by the school itself. With “Taking U Forward” leading SG next year, we can rest assured that the future of UM will finally display Hurricane spirit visually, resulting in a closer, more enthusiastic community of orange and green.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...