Medical school works as a team for the Dean’s Cup

This month, a group of University of Miami medical students went all out to “break the law,” and they finally succeeded.

On Sunday evening, the med school captured the 2011 Dean’s Cup against the law school. The Dean’s Cup is an intense annual rivalry that dates back to the early 1980s.

With Sunday’s victory, the med school extended its overall record to 17 wins, six more than the law school.

Standing on the IM field, second-year med students Nirav Joshi and Danica Vance, captains for their school, hoisted the giant trophy in victory to the cheers of their teammates and supporters. Both Joshi and Vance were proud of their players and the school.

“It was a huge team effort,” Vance said. “The score was very close the last three days, but we never gave up.”

On the other side of the field, third-year law student John Fischer, the head coordinator for his school, said his teammates gave it their best.

“I’m proud of the effort; we played hard but unfortunately there can be just one winner,” Fischer said.

For these future doctors and lawyers, the Deans’ Cup competition is a lot more than catchy mottos like “break the law” and raw-raw rallies. These contests are taken seriously, and the importance of winning is instilled in law and med students alike from their first day in their respective programs.

“Since the first day in orientation, they talked about the Dean’s Cup and how big the event is for both schools,” said first-year med student Tyler Brown.

The Dean’s Cup competition is spread over about 10 days and consists more than 25 different activities and sports in which teams from each school accumulate points toward the winning final score. Contests included soccer, basketball, volleyball and kickball matches, along with video games, billiards and darts competitions.

Dean of the Law School Patricia White said the competitiveness says something about the students from both schools.

“Maybe that says something about the sort of person who wants to become a doctor or a lawyer,” she said.

Daniela Santamarina may be contacted at dsantamarina@themiamihurricane.com.

Daniela Santamarina

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...