Tuesdays with Toppel

Once a month, the Toppel Career Center offers alumni, and occasionally seniors, the opportunity to do some career networking in a unique setting — while  enjoying their favorite cocktail and a nice meal.

The Tuesdays With Toppel program began in 2009 after the economic downturn hit the country.

“We got the idea from an event that took place in New York City and LA [called the Pink Slip Party]because of the dot-com bust in the early 2000s,” said Edward Cruz, assistant director of graduate student and alumni programs at Toppel. “So we were inspired by that idea and made it work for our students and alumni.”

The cost of the event is $10 per person and it is usually hosted at restaurants in Coral Gables and Miami.

“It’s a really unique, creative thing UM has done and I have not seen anything like it,” said FBI Recruiter Kathleen Cymbaluk, who has participated in the event. “It is a fun, carefree environment, which gives the recruiter a unique way to interact that you don’t really get in the other universities.”

About 15 different companies are represented each month at Tuesdays with Toppel.

“The first Tuesdays with Toppel was held at Red Koi Thai & Sushi Lounge [on Miracle Mile], and we had over 50 people attend including alumni and employers,” Cruz said

The event is typically aimed at alumni, but a month before graduation an email invitation is sent out for all the graduating seniors to attend.

“We do invite students the months leading up to graduation, so students that were graduating in fall were invited to attend the November event and students that are graduating in the spring will be invited to the April event,” said Veronica Soto, assistant director of career events at Toppel.

Even after students graduate, Toppel still offers advising and free entrance to all the career fairs on campus.

“Alumni are always invited to any of our career-oriented programs that we have and advising is free for alumni after one year and after that there is a small fee,” Soto said. “We are still here for our alumni after they graduate.”

The next Tuesdays with Toppel will be held from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. this Tuesday, Feb. 22, at the Boiler House,  97 SW Eighth St. To attend, alumni can RSVP through your CaneZone account at www.hireacane.com. For more information about the program, stop by Toppel in the Whitten University Center.

Elizabeth Nickerson may be contacted at enickerson@themiamihurricane.com.

Elizabeth Nickerson

Contributing News Editor

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...