Med school wins Dean’s Cup

This month, a group of UM medical students went all out to “break the law” – and they finally succeeded.

On Sunday evening, the med school captured the 2011 Dean’s Cup against the law school in an intense annual rivalry that dates back to the early 1980’s.

Standing on the IM field, second-year med students Nirav Joshi and Danica Vance, captains for their school, hoisted the giant trophy in victory to the cheers of their teammates and supporters.

“We’re very proud of our players and our school,” Joshi later said.

“It was a huge team effort.” added Danica. “The score was very close the last three days, but we never gave up.”

On the other side of the field, third-year law student John Fischer, head coordinator for his school, said his teammates gave it their best.

“I’m proud of the effort; we played hard but unfortunately there can be just one winner,” Fischer said.

For these future doctors and lawyers, the Deans’ Cup competition is a lot more than catchy mottos like “break the law” and rah-rah rallies. These contests are taken seriously, and the importance of winning is instilled in law and med students alike from their first day in their respective programs.

“It’s not just the cup; it’s the pride that is more important,” said first-year med student Tyler Brown. “Since the first day in orientation, they talked about the Dean’s Cup and how big the event is for both schools.”

The Dean’s Cup competition is spread over about 10 days and consists more than 25 different activities and sports in which teams from each school accumulate points toward the winning final score. There were soccer, basketball, volleyball and kickball matches, along with video games, billiards and darts competitions.

Law Dean Patricia White said the competitiveness says reflects the students from both schools.

“Maybe that says something about the sort of person who wants to become a doctor or a lawyer,” she said.

Students weren’t the only ones who take part in the quest for the cup. Pascal Goldschmidt, the Belgian-born med school dean who students call the “Muscles from Brussels”  joins in too.

“Dean is very enthusiastic; he looks forward to this every year,” Vance said.

With Sunday’s victory, the med school extended its overall record to 17 wins, six more than the law school.

Daniela Santamarina may be contacted at dsantamarina@themiamihurricane.com.

Daniela Santamarina

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...