Sexually charged ‘Lysistrata’ a must-see

Students in the University of Miami Theatre Department perform one of the closing scenes of "Lysistrata" during a final dress rehearsal on Sunday night. The show is a comedic account of how the women of Greece withhold sex from their husbands during the Peloponnesian War until they agree to negotiate peace with one another, thus ending the war. "Lysistrata" is currently playing at the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre on the University of Miami campus and runs through February 27, 2011. Photo by Katie Sikora//The Miami Hurricane

Remember that really raunchy movie you watched a few weeks ago? The one that shocked you with how sexually explicit the dialogue was? Now imagine it live-action with a few ancient Greek references thrown in and you have “Lysistrata.”

“Lysistrata,” currently being performed alongside “Big Love” at the Jeremy Herman Ring Theatre, is an ancient Greek play by Aristophanes that has been translated into modern English. The play follows the character Lysistrata as she plots with the women of Greece to stop the war by withholding sex from their husbands until a truce is called. “No man will ever have satisfaction unless the women decide they should!” she says.

“Lysistrata” is shockingly lascivious, even for our modern culture of shock-and-awe, erotic entertainment. The Greeks were actually quite open about sexuality, and the sexualization of women is far more intense than anything you see might today. The women suffer as much as the men during their bout of celibacy, often teetering on breaking their oath before Lysistrata reminds them what they are fighting for.

The actors are spot-on with their quick, witty banter and sexual innuendos that would startle even the crudest of people. The masked chorus has a personality of its own, paralleling the battle of the sexes occurring in the main plot. The production even incorporates the use of incense into the comedy, adding a new dimension of interaction for the audience.

The serious anti-war message in the play is balanced perfectly with the erotic humor and pseudo-nudity. The bawdy “Lysistrata” is a must-see for anyone on campus looking for a good, hard laugh, provided that they do not mind blatant sex jokes.

Margaux Herrera may be contacted at mherrera@themiamihurricane.com.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...