Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: This is Our Moment

We have all heard the climate change experts – Miami will be one of the first U.S. cities in trouble if we don’t change our energy habits. Yet when we look around our campus we can’t help but notice that we could be doing so much more.

We all love our beautiful Miami sunshine – solar energy just makes sense. And then there is the thousands of dollars we spend dumping our leftover dining hall food in the trash.

If we brought composting to campus we could save energy on fertilizer and possibly even harness the methane gas produced to power the residential dining halls. If passed, the Green Initiatives Referendum will raise $100,000 dollars annually to pilot green initiatives on campus. The $5 dollar investment in our Student Activities fee each semester is a small price to pay individually considering that money will generate hundreds of thousands of dollars in savings later. Given our location, it only makes sense that the UM student body come together and lead the green movement for sustainability nationally. Go vote in the UC Breezeway this Mon. – Wed. from 10am to 4pm or in the residential halls Mon- Tues. from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. – and tell your friends! To support the green initiative referendum join the “Vote Green at UM” Facebook event.

Stephanie Sandhu is a senior majoring in Neurobiology and Women’s Studies English Literature.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...