Expansion across US encourages entrepreneurship

Susan Amat, the director of Launch Pad, listens as a student pitches an entrepreneurial idea for a music website during a Market Research Skills meeting. The event is one example of the various free programs hosted by The Launch Pad. Jessica Hodder//The Miami Hurricane

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

University of Miami officials learned last week that the Launch Pad entrepreneurial program will be a model as part of a new White House economic strategy to expand innovation and create jobs across the country.

“We are pleased that our work in Miami can help [others]develop entrepreneurial opportunities for their students and communities,” said William Green, dean of undergraduate education, in a university press release.

Launch Pad, part of the Toppel Career Center, was founded in 2008 to provide tools and guidance to students, faculty and alumni who want to start their own business ventures. Since its creation, Launch Pad has helped develop nearly 50 new companies and create more than 100 new jobs.

On Jan. 31, the White House laid out the Startup America Partnership in which the Obama administration will join forces with more than a dozen private organizations, including the Blackstone Charitable Foundation. Last year, Blackstone funding helped replicate the UM Launch Pad at two schools in the Detroit area.

“With the Blackstone Charitable Foundation grant, we were able to open two more Launch Pads at Wayne State University and Walsh College,” said Lexi Matiash, the public relations and event manager of the UM Launch Pad.

Now as part of the Startup America initiative, Blackstone is committing another $5 million to replicate Launch Pad at other schools in five economically distressed areas of the country.

The UM Launch Pad Web site will be the hub of the expansion effort, helping to link all the schools. UM officials believe that will benefit students involved in the program.

“The expansion will strengthen the ability to link entrepreneurs to resources and help alumni and students create a vast network across the nation, which is the key to entrepreneurial success,” said Susan Amat, executive director of the Launch Pad.

Elizabeth Nickerson may be contacted at enickerson@themiamihurricane.com.

Elizabeth Nickerson

Contributing News Editor

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...