Basketball, Sports

Can’t win the close ones

Sophomore guard Durand Scott reacts to missing a layup in the final minute against Clemson Sunday. Scott scored sixteen points but failed to convert on a potentially game-tying free-throw with 12 seconds remaining. Alex Broadwell//The Miami Hurricane

Heartbreak has become second nature to the Miami Hurricanes this season.

Trailing by 3 points with five seconds remaining, the Clemson Tigers made sure the Hurricanes had to earn 3 points the hard way. Clemson elected to foul Miami instead of chancing a 3-point attempt to tie the game and sent redshirt senior forward Adrian Thomas to the foul line. Thomas made the first shot and missed the second shot intentionally but Miami (16-11,4-8) was unable to capture the rebound. They lost 63-59.

Miami has had games come down to the final 10 seconds in nine of their last 10 games in the ACC. The Canes are 4-5 in those games.

“Obviously a tough loss,” head coach Frank Haith said. “Difference in the game was the free throws. We had a chance down the stretch. They made them, we didn’t.”

The Hurricanes had an opportunity to tie the game at 59 points but sophomore guard Durand Scott missed his first free throw and had to hit the second one. Miami was forced to foul and the Tigers (18-9,7-6) didn’t allow the Hurricanes to get off a 3-point shot in the closing seconds.

“I don’t like losing at all,” said Scott, who was disappointed he missed the potential game-tying free throw. “We have to go out there and play harder and execute more. Got to try and get the next one.”
The Canes only had two players finish in double-digits. Scott finished with 16 points on 6-for-9 shooting from the field. Thomas added 13 points in 31 minutes off the bench.

The Canes out-performed Clemson from the field, shooting 49 percent to the Tigers’ 42 percent, but it was the lack of consistent free throw shooting that ultimately cost the team. Miami was 15-23 (63 percent) and Clemson was 18-21 (85 percent) from the charity stripe.

“It’s extremely frustrating,” said redshirt junior guard Malcolm Grant, who was injured in the first half but came back and finished with 7 points. “Our whole coaching staff does a great job in preparing us. It’s just extremely frustrating.”

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at lledoux@themiamihurricane.com.

Lelan LeDoux

Contributing EDGE Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...