Baseball, Sports

Baseball matchup against Rutgers Scarlett Knights

Intangibles: Miami

In the 2010 season, the Canes swept the Scarlet Knights in the first series of the season, scorings at least nine runs per game. Miami definitely has the advantage of recent history and momentum.

Pitching: Miami

In 2010, Miami’s average ERA was 3.68, while Rutgers’ was 5.90. The Hurricanes have lost all of last season’s weekend starters, but there is tons of potential in relievers-turned-starters E.J. Encinosa and Eric Whaley, as well as Friday night’s starting pitcher, true freshman Bryan Radziewski. Radziewski has impressed head coach Jim Morris all offseason.

Outfield: Miami

Miami’s outfield is led by Zeke DeVoss and Nathan Melendres, both of whom have outstanding batting averages and fielding percentages. Chris Palaez is another strong performer for the Canes. However, Rutgers holds their own with Brandon Boykin and Michael Lang, who are equally as effective in their respective positions. Scarlet Knights outfielder Ryan Kapp was named to the pre-season All Big East team. The loss of Chris Palaez will hurt the Canes however.

Infield: Miami

Rutgers shortstop Steve Nyisztor was a member of the preseason All Big East team, and finished the 2010 season with a .410 batting average. Miami boasts sluggers Harold Martinez and Michael Broad, and overall should be more capable.

Catcher: Even

With the loss of Yasmani Grandal, the Hurricanes are relying on David Villaluso to step up. He’s been a strong performer in the past and should be able to lead the two new freshman catchers. For Rutgers, Jeff Melillo has been extremely solid behind the plate, leaving the teams looking just about even.

Bullpen: Miami

The Miami bullpen was shaky at times during the 2010 season, but retains some of its strongest pitchers. Tyler Gebler is the main threat for the Scarlett Knights, but with Daniel Miranda remaining in the closer role, the Canes should have the advantage there.

Darci Miller may be contacted at dmiller@themiamihurricane.com

Darci Miller

Opinion Editor

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...