Vice Presidential candidates speak their minds at debate

(Left to Right) Sam Flanagan, Giselle Sardinas, Ashley Taggart.

The Student Government vice-presidential debate took place Tuesday in the University Center ballroom. Candidates were asked general questions that were created by the SG elections commission, as well as questions written by attendees that could be posed to specific candidates. Most of the questions pertained to the candidates’ past experience in SG, why they decided to run and their favorite platforms from their campaigns. Here are some of their responses:

Ashley Taggart: Every committee needs to have ownership over their projects and work as a group to accomplish things together. Jake, Brandon and I want to take Student Government forward and make sure every function is a collaboration and not just a bunch of separate branches.

Ashley Taggart: From the moment I stepped foot on campus, I knew it was my home. We want to help students love this school too. We want to take past successes forward and create an SG that is for the students, for the future and for the U.

Samantha Flanagan: We’re about every single student at the University of Miami. We’re experienced and that is one of our most important aspects because we can hit the ground running. We’re all regular students that are active in other organizations. We want to represent everyone and be true to U.

Samantha Flanagan: Michael and I are a partnership. These are ideas we have that together we are going to implement. Together, we’re a complete picture that together make up a complete ticket.

Giselle Sardinas: We want to get students involved in SG by having meetings once a month, opening a Facebook group and Web site, attending organization’s meeting and asking ideas, and advertising on WVUM. We want a lot of advertising. We already are involving people by going out and talking to people.

Giselle Sardinas: Our biggest obstacle is learning what you can and cannot improve upon and who you need talk to in order to try to accomplish everyone’s needs.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...