TV shows often go awry when remade in the US

courtesy poptower.com

The special relationship between the United States and Great Britain implies a strong cultural exchange.

Britain gave us the Spice Girls, and we produced the Pussycat Dolls. They created Amy Winehouse and Adele, and we shared with them Ke$ha and Katy Perry. Britain is the land of “Harry Potter,” and the United States is the land of “Twilight.” Simply put, it isn’t a fair trade.

In a similar vein MTV remade Britain’s hit show “Skins.” The original program attained almost legendary status for its willingness to explore topics such as drug addiction, sex, race and homosexuality with remarkable frankness, yet the American version is bad despite that it was developed by its original creators.

The pilot episode of MTV’s “Skins” used the exact script as its U.K. pilot, simply changing the names and genders of the characters. The dialogue used the same British slang, which comes off as disingenuous, and the acting is inferior.

“The acting was good in the U.K. version so [viewers]accepted the hyperbole that was clearly present,” said junior Allison Norris, with whom I watch the show every week. “Because the actors made it feel so effortless, we suspended our disbelief. The acting [on MTV’s version]is like a high school drama project.”

So what can one do when so many American counterparts are simply of lesser quality? As the imaginative and always original American networks have started doing, one can always just remake British television programs. Unfortunately, there is only one memorable show from among the bunch: NBC’s “The Office,” which, honestly, is losing steam. If British television can air American shows like “The West Wing” and “Mad Men” without remaking them, why can’t American networks reciprocate?

My mother is particularly offended by Syfy’s “Being Human.” A fan of the original U.K. show, she calls every week to rant about how bad the American version is, but just like with any train wreck, she can’t look away. Her major complaint is that the dialogue liberally stolen from the British version simply doesn’t work in an American-set show, but even more egregious is the fact that it is completely devoid of humor.

Of all British imports, however, “Skins” is a pathetic attempt and needs to be canceled, not for its sexual content and drug use, but simply because it’s terrible.

Sarah B. Pilchick may be contacted at sbpilchick@themiamihurricane.com.

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...