Thrifty and nifty

A rack of colorful attire in the Goodwill Superstore in Tamiami. Rachel Steinhauser//The Miami Hurricane

Whether it’s the thrill of the hunt, the buzz of a bargain or the untold treasures that can be revealed, there’s nothing like a good thrift store. For every rainy Saturday when you don’t feel like fighting crowds at the mall, and for every shopping urge you might have while your credit card’s maxed out, it’s thrift stores to the rescue. Here’s a guide to a few local favorites that may smell a little funky, but are known for producing fantastic finds.

Flamingo Plaza- This Hialeah stripmall is a local legend. The plaza houses several thrift stores and discount stores including, a Red White & Blue Thrift Store, Community Thrift Store and Hialeah Thrift. Flamingo Plaza is famous for its furniture finds. Extra special clothing items take a little digging, but don’t be afraid to dive in with both hands. Flamingo has been known to turn up vintage Lacoste items, a Jordan Marsh coat with mink trim and a pair of vintage Adidas Tron sneakers circa 1982.

Goodwill Superstore- When in doubt, it never hurts to stick with a classic. Conveniently located on the corner of Bird Road and Ludlam Road, the Goodwill Superstore is just a bike ride away from UM. With clothing sections organized by color, Goodwill is the perfect place for expanding your T-shirt collection. It’s also great for used dishes and creative household décor. The superstore has been closed for remodeling this month, but its grand reopening is Thursday.

Out of the Closet- As if ridiculously low prices weren’t incentive enough, Out of the Closet gives shoppers a chance to thrift for a cause. Voted Best Place to Donate Your Clothes by the Miami New Times, Out of the Closet is owned and operated by the  AIDS Healthcare Foundation and provides free testing and treatment. The self-proclaimed “most fabulous thrift store in the world” has two locations in Miami, one on Biscayne Boulevard downtown and one on Alton Road on South Beach. Out of the Closet is the perfect place to find off-the-wall accessories.

Laura Edwins may be contacted at ledwins@themiamihurricane.com.

If you go:

Flamingo Plaza- 901 E. 10th Ave., Hialeah

Hours vary

Goodwill Superstore- Bird Road and SW 67 Ave, Miami

Mon.- Sat. 9 a.m.- 9 p.m. Sun. 9 a.m.- 7 p.m. Donations are accepted at the back door drop-off area until 6 p.m.

Out of the Closet- 2900 N. Biscayne Blvd., Miami and 1510 Alton Rd., Miami Beach

Open Mon.-Sat. 10 a.m.- 7p.m. and Sun. 10 a.m.- 6 p.m.

Most thrift stores accept major credit cards but carrying a small amount of cash is a good rule of thumb.

Laura Edwins

Managing Editor

Two Commencement ceremonies will take place at the Watsco Center on the Coral Gables campus on Thurs ...

The investiture of the School of Law Dean Anthony E. Varona as the M. Minnette Massey Chair took pla ...

The University of Miami Frost School of Music's annual holiday event raises funds for the Donna ...

University of Miami Miller School of Medicine students hung 3,000 posters in Wynwood last weekend to ...

Life on Great Abaco Island in the Bahamas is striving to get back to normal, but the scars of Hurric ...

With an Olympic year on the horizon, former Canes star Lauryn Williams reflects on an incredible car ...

The Miami women's basketball staff just got stronger with the addition of former Hurricane stan ...

The University of Miami football program announced Sunday that it has accepted a bid to the 2019 Wal ...

Spots are filling up fast for the upcoming Gino DiMare Exposure Camp on January 18-19, 2020. ...

Greg Rousseau was one of Miami's breakout players this year and will be honored Friday night in ...