Field Experience Program

A new program in the School of Communication allows students to immerse themselves in the fast-paced world of sports journalism without going through a formal internship process.

The Field Experience Program (FEP) is a volunteer opportunity to work inside media centers and press boxes of professional organizations like the Florida Panthers, Homestead-Miami Speedway and Miami Dolphins.

When these organizations need part-time help with writing press releases or assisting at press conferences and celebrity signings, the FEP comes to the rescue. Events range from one day to two weeks, rather than months-long typical internships.

“These organizations have the structure, but no content in the middle; we can be that content in the middle,” said SoC public relations professor Maria Scott, who set up the program.

Scott wanted to create an opportunity for students to get hands-on experiences in media services without extensive training.

Student volunteers can choose which events to participate in and the program is open to all Communication majors. Currently there are 45 applicants interested in the program and the numbers are rising.

“We wanted to have a program where you have that time, that moment,” said Kaleena Salguiero, the SoC’s career services coordinator, who has worked with Scott in developing the program.

For more information on volunteering, contact Maria Scott at m.scott@miami.edu or Kaleena Salguiero at k.salguiero@miami.edu.

Alexandra Valenzuela may be contacted at avalenzuela@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Valenzuela

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...